Saturday, August 13, 2011

Oklahoma Weather

Ever since I have been here it has been HOT! I think the high of the day has been averaging around 104... and it is humid here. I thought that this was just normal oklahoma weather but I guess that it has been hotter lately then usual. Not only has it been hot but it has also been very dry here. Before this week I think it has only rained once since I got here. So, last week our stake presidency sent and e-mail out to the members, here are parts of it. 

We, as a stake presidency, are mindful of the drought conditions persisting across Oklahoma, and the impact that these conditions, and the accompanying heat, continue to have in this area. We recognize the escalating health issues that accompany this period of excessive heat, particularly for the elderly, as well as the economic impact that the weather is having on agricultural and other businesses in Oklahoma. Based on the most recent NOAA forecast (see below) these conditions are expected to persist or intensify at least through the end of October.

In addition, we ask the members of the Oklahoma City Stake to plead with our Heavenly Father that He ease these conditions and bring some measure of relief to the parts of the country, including all of Oklahoma, that are suffering from the heat and lack of moisture. Please ask your members to fast and pray specifically for this relief this coming Fast Sunday. We believe that as they do so that our Heavenly Father will hear their prayers and accept their fast as these are offered in faith.

 


After reading that e-mail I thought of the story I heard when touring the Brigham Young home in St. George. The pioneers were in a similar condition where they were in desperate need of moisture and reprieve from the heat. So, they fasted and prayed and were blessed with rain. I knew that if Heavenly Father would help them in their time of need he would help us here. Well, on Saturday night it started to rain... On Sunday our stake fasted together and prayed for moisture to continue to come. EVERY single night this week it has rained! And the temperature has cooled down significantly. Right now I am sitting out on my porch and it is only 85...and it's the middle of the day. I am grateful that Heavenly Father has heard and answered our prayers and that I could be here to witness this miracle.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat experience! And what a cool story to tell your kids someday!

    Also. I think it shows what inspired leaders your stake has, which is awesome.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so amazing. I remember how hot it was when I was there and it only got hotter after that so it must be nice to finally have a break.

    ReplyDelete